MADISON, Wis. — One Wisconsin Now has launched a new accountability website, www.GOPromiseBreakers.com, to track pledges and promises made during the recent political campaign to determine whether they are being kept or not. The site will focus most notably on job creation efforts and progress on this front.
“Gov.-Elect Scott Walker and his new Republican legislative majority promised that job creation would be job one and we intend to hold them to that promise,” said Scot Ross, One Wisconsin Now Executive Director. “When Walker and the Republicans make good on their promise to create 250,000 jobs, then they can move on to other issues.”
As www.GOPromiseBreakers.com indicates, Republicans have already begun to falter on their election-year promises, including:
- Walker defended the UW system on the campaign trail, but in his first meeting with the regents told them to prepare for cuts.
- Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald has told numerous media outlets that anti-democratic legislation such as the Poll Tax ID bill will be the first legislation he tackles.
- Walker initially backed down from his oft-repeated promise to kill high speed rail, according to train manufacturer Talgo.
- New Senator Ron Johnson has abruptly announced through his spokesperson he will not be speaking to the media for the foreseeable future.
- The GOP’s effort to end the federal health reform bill will not be as easy as they promised.
“The Republicans’ campaign signs aren’t even down yet and they are breaking the promises they made to the people of Wisconsin,” said Ross. “One Wisconsin Now and progressives across Wisconsin intend to hold them accountable for these promises and fight back against any threats to the quality and equality in our way of life in Wisconsin.”