MADISON, Wis. — One Wisconsin Now Executive Director Scot Ross released the following statements regarding the failed record of U.S. Rep Paul Ryan and this morning’s announcement by former Bain Capital head Mitt Romney.
“Mitt Romney has been on both sides of every issue, but choosing Paul Ryan as his vice presidential running mate shows when it comes to rewarding the top one percent and corporations at the expense of seniors, students and the middle class, Mitt Romney is unwavering. The Romney-Ryan vision for America is tax hikes for the middle class to pay for even more shifting of wealth to millionaires and billionaires. The Romney-Ryan vision for American is an end to Medicare as we know it. The Romney-Ryan vision for America is bigger class sizes for kids and more outsourcing of manufacturing jobs overseas. And the Romney-Ryan vision for American is the next generations being virtual indentured servants to student loan debt. Mitt Romney must see he has a bigger problem with the Republican base than anyone thought to put the ideological spokesman of the Washington, DC tea party and his failed ideas on the ticket.”
One Wisconsin Now noted that Ryan was a loyal vote for the failed Republican policies that radically increased spending and put untold trillions of dollars on the nation’s credit card including:
- Voting for eight straight Republican budgets that increase federal spending by 50 percent.
- Providing the deciding vote for the $7 trillion unfunded Medicare Part D boondoggle.
- Voting for two wars “off the budget books” that have cost the nation thousands of lives and trillions of dollars.
Paul Ryan’s eight consecutive budget votes hiking the federal budget by 50 percent:
- FY 2000, H CON RES 68, 3/25/99
- FY 2001, H CON RES 290, 3/24/00
- FY 2002, H CON RES 83, 3/28/01
- FY 2003, H CON RES 353, 3/20/02
- FY 2004, H CON RES 95, 3/21/03
- FY 2005, H CON RES 393, 3/25/04
- FY 2006, H CON RES 95, 3/17/05
- FY 2007, H CON RES 376, 5/18/06
[Source: U.S. House Roll Calls, 1999-2006]