MADISON, Wis. — With questions about the scrubbing of his website “issues” page unanswered and publicly lying about his support for a constitutional amendment that would ban most forms of birth control and potentially outlaw in vitro fertilization and stem cell research, Rick Gudex has repeatedly failed to be honest with the public about his positions on issues according to One Wisconsin Now Executive Director Scot Ross.
He commented, “There’s no question Rick Gudex supports some of the most extreme policies we’ve seen in recent memory in Wisconsin. He needs to come clean and explain to the public why he does and why he’s been lying to them about it.”
According to Ross, among the questions Gudex needs to honestly answer are:
- Why has he, in a series of recent public appearances, lied about his position after, in writing, telling a special interest group he supported an amendment to the state constitution that would ban most forms of birth control, outlaw abortion even in cases of rape, incest or to save the life of the mother, likely bar in vitro fertilization and stem cell research and even result in women being investigated by the police for miscarriages?
- Why does he want to go beyond even Gov. Walker and create more labor disputes by calling for prohibiting firefighters and police from having a say in matters related to their workplace safety rules?
- Why does he support weakening state law to allow an open pit mine operation to potentially contaminate drinking water with arsenic, lead and mercury?
- Why does he support the repeal of the state’s equal pay act that allowed women, veterans and persons with disabilities to sue in state court for wage discrimination?
- Why does he support increasing spending on the private school voucher program in Milwaukee and Racine while area public schools had their funding slashed, including almost $15 million in cuts to the Fond du Lac school district and over $20.5 million to Oshkosh public schools?
Ross concluded, “Rick Gudex has a lot to answer for about his support for these extreme policies. It’s about time he does so, and does so honestly, for a change.”